Sunday 13 March 2011

Concepts for final wallpaper design

Well, to help me understand my own ideas I sketched 5 concepts to try.

My first idea was inspired from the Chinese symbol for balance or "yin-yang" which consists of 3 circles of black and white.
Having two smaller circles partially covered by a larger circle which reverts their colour inside. The sketch is only partically done because I ruled the grid too small and it would have taken me days to finish it completely (plus I didn't have a compass which would have made it look better)
(full layout)
(larger picture of design)


My next concept was inspired by tartan (family tartan)
Since tartan is predominantly square orientated I decided to use A diamond basis. adding in random thickness of lines to keep it a but more busy but still simple (not too complicated since I'll have to make the final with Pattern maker) I've chosen not to colour the concept as I'm not sure of the colour orientation I wish to use.


Next concept was Inspired by pop art using random placing of overlapping squares and rectangles.
I believe using only 3 colours (excluding white) gives it a more dynamic look than using a whole mess of colours. I may decide to change the colours but the idea of only using 3 main block colours in random sequence is a great idea I believe.



The next concept was inspired by common line illusion where you are made to believe the image has 3 dimensional properties and not just a flat image.
I'm not sure yet weather to use a solid Black and white orientation or have a multi colour gradient where each colour fades into the next.


My final concept, which is the most likely one I will use to finalise, was inspired by tiles commonly used in old church ceilings. I always find myself in awe (and with a stiff neck) every time I enter a church, the great detail that is put into each inch of the interior designs always amazes me.


 Each space between the designs creates a square which is a completely random colour. The frame itself is black.


I keep using grids to help with my designs so unfortunately all my ideas are rather plain and restricted but I find it easier to work within boundaries and sometimes find myself bending or even breaking the simple rules I create for myself. Hopefully I will learn to fully break my silly little habits and make my designs all the more awesome in the future. For now though, this is fine.

Small Note: Photos of concepts taken with laptop web cam due to lack of scanner and absence of good camera (so there is a good reason why the photos look real bad)

No comments:

Post a Comment